The county and surrounding areas offer 22 free factory tours, ac cording to the York County Conven tion & Visitors Bureau’s website.
Some of the business owners who host tours said they enjoy teaching their craft to visitors.* * *
Christina Clarke, owner of Sunrise Soap Co. on North Beaver Street in York, said the store has been in business for more than eight years.
“We have been doing factory tours, educational field trips and hands-on interactive parties for over three years,” she said via email.
She encourages folks to call the shop and arrange a tour to learn how freshly crafted, all-natural body care — including soaps, lotions, fiz zies, scrubs and lip balms — are made.
The store hosts a girls’ night out and birthday parties that include a two-hour, hands-on lesson on the art of making bath products, she said.* * *
Beth Lutz and her family own Painted Spring Farm Alpacas in Jackson Township, where they raise alpacas, shear the animals yearly and have the fibers processed into yarns for spinning.
“We then use the yarn to create finished knit, crochet and woven items,” Lutz said via email. “We’ve been doing this for about 12 years and have over 40 animals. We also breed and sell the animals to people who are interested in raising alpacas themselves for breeding, fiber or just as pets.
The farm hosts tours to intro duce people to the animals, she said.
“For larger tours and for groups with children, I often do a spinning (demonstration) and have the kids help spin the yarn,” she said.
Jenne Anderson, operator and owner of New Grounds Roasting Co. in York, said the business roasts and sells coffee in the shop.
“You can find our coffee fea tured at (Sovereign Bank Stadium) as well as York Hospital and a few other small businesses in the com munity,” Anderson said via email. “We have live entertainment most Friday and Saturday nights, ranging anywhere from spoken word, open- mic nights and a very eclectic blend of live music. Our vision is to be a community connector and we strive to provide excellent service from the very top to the bottom.”
New Grounds also gives tours of the company to teach folks how coffee is grown, harvested and roasted, she said. At the end of the tour, visitors sample freshly roasted coffee, she said.
“We are very passionate about what we do and love to open our door to our customers,” she said.
Factory and store tours· Bluett Bros. Violins, 122 Hill St., Spring Garden Township, www.bluettbros-violins.com
· Family Heirloom Weavers, 775 Meadowview Drive, York Town ship, www.familyheirloom
· First Capital Federal Credit Union Green Tour, 2602 Course Road, York Township, www.firstcapitalfcu.com
· Harley-Davidson Motor Co., Vehicle Operations, 1425 Eden Road, Springettsbury Township, www.harley-davidson.com
· Macklin’s Café, 2069 Spring wood Road, Spring Garden Town ship, www.macklinscafe.com
· Martin’s Potato Chips, 5847 Lincoln Highway, Jackson Township, www.martinschips.com
· Miss Lucy’s Dog Treats, 5241 N. Salem Church Road, Dover Township, www.misslucysdogtreats.com
· Naylor Wine Cellars, 4069 Vineyard Road, Hopewell Township, www.naylorwine.com
· New Grounds Roasting Co., 284 West Market St., York, www.newgrounds3c.com
· Painted Spring Farm Alpacas, 280 Roth Church Road, Jackson Township, paintedspring.com
· Perrydell Farm Dairy, 90 Indian Rock Dam Road, York Town ship, www.perrydellfarm.com
· Revonah Pretzels, 507 Balti more St., Hanover, www.revonahpretzel.com
· Snyder’s of Hanover, 1350 York St., Penn Township, www.snydersofhanover.com
· Sunrise Soap Company, 29 N Beaver St., York, www.sunrisesoapco.com
· Sweet Willows Creamery, 2812 East Prospect Road, York Township, sweetwillows.com
· The Prancing Pig, Paint Your Own Pottery and Gifts, 2021 Spring wood Road, York Township, www.prancingpigpottery.com
· Utz Snacks, 900 High St., Hanover, www.utzsnacks.com
· Walk-Le Holsteins, 6898 Oak Lane, Paradise Township, www.walkleholsteins.com
· Wolfgang Candy Co., 50 E. Fourth Ave., North York, www.wolfgangcandy.com
· York County Solid Waste Au thority, 2651 Blackbridge Road, Manchester Township,
· York Time Institute, 312 W. Market St., York, www.yorktimeinstitute.com