York County's senior center menu for this week:
· Today, baked pizza casserole with sauce, tossed salad, garlic bread stick, frosty fruit juice, sherbet
· Monday, roasted boneless chicken thigh with gravy, confetti rice, sweet peas, whole wheat bread, fresh fruit
· Tuesday, batter-dipped fish, potatoes au gratin, sliced carrots, whole wheat bread, vanilla ice cream
· Wednesday, baked ham slice with fruit glaze, scalloped potatoes, baked cabbage, rye bread, cake for November birthdays.
· Thursday, open-faced roast beef sandwich with gravy, homemade vegetable soup, white bread, crackers, cinnamon apples
Events at Heritage center
DOVER TWP.- Heritage Senior Center, 3700 Davidsburg Road, Dover Township, 717-292-7471, is open 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. weekdays.
· Today, cards, games, computer lab, Wii, men's breakfast, Strong Bodies, dime bingo
· Monday, cards, games, computer lab, Wii, ladies breakfast, Seth Grove representative, dime bingo, tai chi
· Tuesday, center closed for Election Day
· Wednesday, cards, games, computer lab, Wii, piano with Pearl, Bible study, dime bingo
· Thursday, cards, games, computer lab, Wii, Zumba at Dover United Church of Christ, Big Bucks Bingo
State Rep. Seth Grove (R-Dover Township) will offer special hours for senior citizens residing in the 196th District. His staff will be available at Heritage Senior Center 9 to 10 a.m. the first Monday of each month. Services provided will include assistance in filing for the Property Tax/Rent Rebate program, PACE and PACEnet, reduced-fee vehicle registrations, consumer complaints, unclaimed property and help with other state services. For details, call Rep. Grove's office at 717-767-3947 or visit his website at RepGrove.com.
East Berlin events set
EAST BERLIN- East Berlin Area Community Center is at Fourth Street and North Avenue, East Berlin, 717-259-9630, is open
9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays.
· Monday, blood-pressure checks with Tammy Gobret of VNA
· Tuesday, center closed for Election Day, Site Manager meeting
· Wednesday, games galore
· Thursday, games galore
Senior events at White Rose
White Rose Senior Center, 27 S. Broad St., York, 717-843-9704, www.whiteroseseniorcenter.org, is open 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. weekdays.
· Today, decorate the November tree, Bible study with Andrea, center update, bring 50-cent prize bingo
· Monday, A Time of Togetherness with Bruce, knitting club, aerobics with Maria DeFelice, dominoes, Zumba Gold with Heather Cintron, Fresh Express paper due
· Tuesday, blood-pressure checks with York College BPM nurses, Po-ke-no (bring pennies), Spoons card game
· Wednesday, audio book club (new) led by Eileen Bridges, aerobics, November birthday party, bring 50-cent prize bingo, learn Spanish with Cheo, STARS program: make a sterling silver bracelet with Elaine Krout ($10 for members, $15 for nonmembers, payable to Springettsbury Township)
· Thursday, WRSC board meeting, Cards from the Heart with Carol Barnhart, Fresh Express Produce (must be registered by Monday)
Events at Windy Hill
SPRING GROVE- Windy Hill Senior Center, 50 N. East St., Suite 2, Spring Grove, 717-225-0733, is open 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. weekdays. Visit the senior center's website at
· Today, cards, Wii, quarter bingo
· Monday, cards, Wii, Zumba Gold, council meeting, entertainment by Sandra Helsey on piano
· Tuesday, cards, Wii, brain aerobics, line dancing, Sages and Seekers
· Wednesday, Wendy from Seth Grove's office, cards, Wii, Bible study, veteran's program
· Thursday, Wii bowling tournament, OLLI class: "Today's Library," introduction to Polka ($3)
State Rep. Seth Grove (R-Dover Township) will offer special hours for senior citizens residing in the 196th District. His staff will be available at Windy Hill Senior Center 9 to 10 a.m. the first Tuesday of each month. Services provided will include assistance in filing for the Property Tax/Rent Rebate Program, PACE and PACEnet, reduced fee vehicle registrations, consumer complaints, unclaimed property and help with other state services. For details, call Rep. Grove's office at 717-767-3947 or visit his website at RepGrove.com.
The Windy Hill Senior Center is now offering a menu choice on Tuesdays and Thursdays along with its regular hot meal. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, members have the option of choosing the regular hot meal or a cold sandwich or salad. For a donation, the Windy Hill Senior Center offers a noon-time meal Mondays through Fridays to older adults in the community who are 60 or older regardless of income. To reserve your lunch or to get more information on the senior center, call 717-225-0733 or visit windyhillseniorcenter.org.
Senior events at September House
WEST YORK- September House Senior Center, 1251 W. King St., 717-848-4417, West York, is open 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. weekdays.
Classes at Windy Hill
SPRING GROVE- Windy Hill Senior Center, Penn State York and Osher Lifelong Learning Institute have partnered to offer the following classes at Windy Hill Senior Center, 50 N. East St., Suite 2, Spring Grove.
Cost to participate in each class is $5 for OLLI members; $10 for nonmembers. Classes run from 9 to 10:30 a.m. For details, call Windy Hill Senior Center at 717-225-0733 or OLLI at 717-771-4015.
· Nov. 5 and Nov. 12, Animal Adventures from Around the World ($10, members only).
· Nov. 5, Do You Know What You Are Drinking?
· Nov. 6, From Jesters to Clowns.
· Nov. 7 and Nov. 14, Peruvian Treasures Part 2 ($10, members only).
· Nov. 8, New Library - Not Just Books. Gemma Martin will explain what new and exciting things are now available at the library and how accessible these materials and information are. She'll even talk about a dog therapy program offered by some libraries. Have a Kindle or e-reader? Learn how to borrow digital books.
· Nov. 13 and 16, A Period Victorian Restoration ($10, members only).
· Nov. 13, From Nicolas to Santa.
· Nov. 14, The Forgotten Battle of Franklin, Tennessee.
· Nov. 15, Rebuilding America.
· Nov. 20, Civil War Medicine and Surgery.
Productive Aging workshop
WEST YORK- September House Senior Center, 1251 W. King St., West York, will host a York College student-run workshop, "Productive Aging," 2:15 to 3:15 p.m. Nov. 8.
This workshop is interactive, planned and run by the students. There will be a raffle drawing at the end of the workshop.
What's next: For details, call the senior center at 717-848-4417.
The York County Area Agency on Aging's APPRISE Program will offer personalized counseling during Medicare's Annual Enrollment Period through Dec. 7.
During the annual enrollment period, Medicare beneficiaries can review their coverage and determine if health and prescription plans continue to meet their needs.
Medicare beneficiaries throughout the annual enrollment period will be able to receive one-on-one counseling assistance offered by trained APPRISE counselors at different locations throughout York County.
Appointments are necessary. Call the APPRISE Scheduling Line at 717-771-9001. Dates and locations for the sessions are as follows:
· 3:30 to 6 p.m. Nov. 7, West York Area High School, 1800 Bannister St., West Manchester Township.
· 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Nov. 27, Spring Grove Area Senior High School, 1490 Roth's Church Road, Jackson Township.
Free memory screenings
SPRING GROVE- Windy Hill Senior Center, 50 N. East St., Spring Grove, will offer free memory screenings at 10 a.m. Nov. 13.
A qualified screener from Visiting Angels and AseraCare Hospice will be on hand to conduct the memory screenings. Memory screenings are a first step toward finding out if an individual has Alzheimer's disease or a related dementia, or another type of condition that is causing memory loss.
What's next: For more information on the screenings, call Windy Hill Senior Center at 717-225-0733.
Dementia Care Conference
A Dementia Care Conference featuring Teepa Snow, a dementia expert who trains and consults for agencies, facilities and families, will be 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Nov. 30 at Grace Fellowship Church, 1405 Seven Valleys Road, North Codorus Township.
Cost is $40 per person which includes lunch. CEUs are being offered for nursing home administrators, social workers, personal care home administrators and nursing for an additional cost.
Sponsored by Senior Information Networking Group, the conference is a fundraiser for York County senior centers. All proceeds from the conference and silent auction, which will be held during lunch, will go directly to the senior centers.
What's next: Registration is required. For details or to receive a digital copy of the registration brochure, call Sandy Taylor at 717-751-2488 or email visitingangelsst@ comcast.net.