A former York City resident accused of carjacking a 62-year-old man at Gifford Pinchot State Park has been captured.

Members of the U.S. Marshals Service arrested Richard Lynn Yeagy, 35, in Atlantic City, N.J., near a homeless shelter about 3:30 p.m. Tuesday, according to state police Sgt. Robert Kelly.

He is being held in an Atlantic City jail pending his extradition to York County, Kelly said.

U.S. Marshal Michael Regan said marshals tracked Yeagy to the area through interviews, and set up surveillance a few days ago.

"(Marshals) were on surveillance in the vicinity of the homeless shelter and he walked by," Regan said.

Yeagy was arrested without incident, he said.

Regan said Yeagy might have been staying at the shelter prior to marshals tracking him there, but he was not staying there as of Tuesday.

Once back in York County Yeagy, whose last known address was in the 600 block of Wallace Street in York City, will be charged with kidnapping, robbery of a motor vehicle, robbery, aggravated assault, unlawful restraint, access device fraud, theft, and receiving stolen property.

The background: Police identified Yeagy as the alleged carjacker after a surveillance photo of the carjacker printed in local newspapers prompted tipsters to call in, according to Trooper Tom Pinkerton, a state police spokesman.

According to charging documents, Yeagy flagged down Richard Weiser at the Warrington Township park about 3:30 p.m. on March 17 as Weiser was driving out of the park. Yeagy asked for a ride back to his vehicle and let Weiser believe he was a "tired trail walker," police said.

Once in Weiser's vehicle, Yeagy held a box cutter to the man's throat and demanded his wallet, documents state.

After getting the wallet, Yeagy ordered Weiser to drive to two ATM machines -- one in Wellsville, the other in Dillsburg -- and withdraw cash, according to documents.

Stole cash, car: Yeagy allegedly got $300 from the Wellsville ATM, but the Dillsburg ATM would not dispense any more cash from Weiser's account, police said.

Yeagy then told Weiser to drive back to Gifford Pinchot, but on the way ordered the man to stop, police said. At that point, Yeagy ordered the victim out of his own vehicle and took off in it, police said.

Weiser ran to a nearby home and called 911, police said.

Police were able to obtain a surveillance photo of the carjacker, which was released to local newspapers. Tipsters gave police Yeagy's name and on March 24, they put together a photo lineup.

Weiser picked out Yeagy's photo "within seconds," according to charging documents.

-- Reach Elizabeth Evans at, 505-5429 or