A Red Lion couple were woken up by a York Area Regional Police officer after he smelled smoke and ran into their burning home, according to Deputy Chief Joe Silar with Leo Fire Company in Red Lion.

About 2:30 a.m. Friday, Officer Donald J. Hoshauer Jr. was in the area of North Main Street when he smelled and noticed smoke for a multi-family residence, police said.

Hoshauer found thick, black smoke coming from a home at the rear of 22 N. Main Street, police said. He immediately called for additional units and fire apparatus, a release states.

After determining the first floor was vacant, Hoshauer saw flames reaching the ceiling that led to the upstairs apartment, police said.

Silar said Hoshauer ran to the second floor, kicked open the door and woke up the couple inside.

Silar said no one was hurt in the fire, but the residents are displaced from the home until it is repaired. The Red Cross is assisting them. Silar added that a dog, cat and snake living with the couple all survived.

The fire was believed to be accidental and damages were estimated at $40,000 police said.